June 30, 2020
July 10, 2020
July 28, 2020 - Adventure awaits
August 07, 2020 - Adventure awaits
Welcome to an expedition considered the ultimate Svalbard expedition cruise. Starting in Norway´s amazing Arctic frontier outpost of Longyearbyen, you have an opportunity to discover the town’s many attractions. Next, we set sail and travel well above the 80th parallel, within 600 nautical miles from the geographical North Pole.
There will be great opportunities for exciting activities like hiking, kayaking and more on land and water during this Svalbard journey to explore outstanding national parks and some of the most spectacular highlights of the Arctic.
The frozen tundra is teeming with wildlife. We will scan for seals, countless seabirds, Arctic fox, reindeer and, of course, keep a sharp eye out for the top predator - the mighty polar bear. There´s a good chance that we’ll see one of Svalbard’s polar bears – after all, there are more polar bears than people on the archipelago.
This Spitsbergren cruise features incredible natural beauty - deep fjords, mighty glaciers and pure wilderness. The Midnight Sun makes it possible to fill your days and nights with unforgettable experiences.
- Expeience the ultimate Svalbard expedition cruise
- Circumnavigate the entire island
- Sight polar bears – high likelihood
- Enjoy the pristine wilderness of the Arctic
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Coach-class flights between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the voyage
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all cruises designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform you about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A Farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
From 59º N to 78º N - Oslo / Longyearbyen - Flight & overnight
Your trip starts with a flight from Oslo. Before departing, enjoy the museums, parks and cafés of Norway’s capital city. On arrival in Longyearbyen, you will set foot in an entirely different world, a small town perched on the edge of Arctic wilderness. Transfer to your hotel and overnight.
Norwegian Stronghold in the High Arctic - Longyearbyen - Embarkation
After an overnight stay, join a post-lunch excursion to get to know this unique town. The mighty Arctic wilderness dominates life here, but Longyearbyen has a lively cultural life and is a prime destination for adventure travelers. Enjoy the atmosphere of this colorful frontier outpost before boarding MS Spitsbergen in the afternoon.
Exploring Amazing Fjords with Fascinating History - North West Spitsbergen National Park
Spitsbergen´s northwestern corner is strewn with rugged islands, beautiful fjords and isolated beaches. It is also the site of spectacularly scenic Northwest-Spitsbergen National Park.
If conditions allow, we will explore the region’s rich history.
We may visit Kongsfjorden, one of the most beautiful fjord areas in Spitsbergen, with mighty glaciers calving icebergs into the sea, framed by stunning mountains. We hope to call on the former mining settlement of Ny-Ålesund, now an international research center with a picturesque mix of old and new buildings. There will be exciting landings and scenic kayaking opportunities as we go further north.
Enjoy Expedition Days in the Arctic - Eastern Svalbard Nature Reserve
Eastern Svalbard boasts the highest population of polar bears on the archipelago – and we have high hopes of spotting one on this journey! The ocean is full of drifting ice and the frozen landscape changes constantly. This is true wilderness, so the captain will work with the elements to decide where we can safely land and sail.
We intend to cross 80º N, and possibly head even further north to Sjuøyane (Seven Islands), at the extreme tip of the Svalbard archipelago. We may also sail east of Nordaustlandet to Kvitøya, before continuing towards Edgeøya, the third-largest island in the Svalbard archipelago.
The Expedition Continues - South Spitsbergen Nationa Park and Bellsund area
We now make our way to the southern cape and the southernmost tip of Spitsbergen, where Hornsund hosts a wonderfully varied landscape and geology. Ice pushed into the fjord early in the season attracts polar bears that hunt on the floes, so with a bit of luck, we may spot some of these magnificent predators.
Fjord, Wilderness - The Isfjord
We will spend the day exploring the Isfjord, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard. In the inner parts of Isfjorden, the landscape changes constantly. The immense U-shaped valleys, carved out of the mountains by giant glaciers that covered the area some 10,000 years ago, are home to large populations of Svalbard reindeer.
End of the Expedition - Longyearbyen / Oslo - Disembarkation & Flight
Our return to the colorful town of Longyearbyen marks the end of a remarkable voyage that took us within a few hundred miles from the geographical North Pole. A transfer vehicle will take you to the airport for your night flight. Arrival early in the morning in Oslo.